I came across an interesting article about the new iPhone 3G today: Five Reasons NOT To Buy The 3G iPhone.
As you can probably say from the title it’s involves a lot of moaning on how iPhone 2.0 is not the perfect gadget. So I though I put my two cents to answer some of the issues in that article.
5. Camera: There has been no major improvements as far as iPhone’s camera is concerned. But you are buying a phone and not a camera. You can’t have the best of all worlds. Get a lower price, have an extended battery life, and get a 10 MP digital camera with night vision and other features on your phone. Give me a break!
4. Price: OK. It’s true that after you are done with your 2 year contract with AT&T, you are worse off than you would have been with your old iPhone contract. So here is the deal. You pay $240 extra over 2 year ($10 a month). But you saved $200 on the device’s price, so technically it’s about $3.5 more a month over 2 years. The economy is bad but not this bad!
3. No Keyboard: Get the Voyager. Enough said. I have used iPhone for quite some time now (can’t remember how long though but I can’t remember living without it ever), and this got to be the most ridiculous moaning I have heard. It’s like saying that you need a PS/2 mouse when you have a wireless one already.
2. Lack of other upgrades: I do get the whole point about MMS, and Bluetooth, and all that kind of stuff. But that’s not why you shouldn’t get the iPhone. You shouldn’t get the iPhone if you either can’t afford it or don’t use your phone much.
1. 3G Radio: Now this is a semi-valid issue, but it’s something that I am sure Apple will address in the future. Having said that, would you not buy the iPhone for this reason only?
iPhone 2.0 is a considerable upgrade over the last one. It’s $200 cheaper, it’s shiny as always, and it comes fully loaded ready to rock and roll. If you don’t want an iPhone or if you like Windows Mobile 7, just come out and say it. But nothing is perfect in this world. Even Apple leaves things on the table but they are not biggies.