We expected Apple to release a major update for iOS yesterday and were not disappointed. Apple has gone out of its way to make iOS feel like a whole new platform. Many have criticized Apple for playing catch up this time around. But when it comes to simplicity in design, the company has hit it out of the park. Here are just some of the features that were announced yesterday:
- iTunes Radio: Apple did not make this sound like a big deal but it is a huge deal. It is an internet radio service that provides you with the type of music you will want to listen to.
- New user interface: the new iOS 7 user interface looks clean and quite intuitive on the surface.
- Notification Center: you can now access your notifications from lock screen and see all the information relevant to your business.
- Moments in Photos: organizing your photos on iOS has just gotten a whole lot easier.
- Camera filters: you not only get 4 camera modes to use but also simple filters to enhance your photos.
- Siri: Siri has gotten simply a tad bit more smarter with support for Twitter, Bing, and addition of new male and female voices.
- Multitasking: more intuitive switching between apps. Apps get updated in the background.
- AirDrop: enables users to share content with people nearby securely.
- Safari: Safari has been updated to offer a more intuitive experience on iOS devices.
Not everyone is happy with the latest iOS changes. Android and Microsoft fans have already started bashing the software and calling out Apple for “stealing” from Android and Windows. It is true that Apple is playing some catch-up here but I would argue that the average user will find iOS 7 easier to use than Android. iOS still has a long way to go with many issues to address. But this was a step in the right direction.
Unfortunately, Apple did not say a whole lot about the upcoming iPhones or iPads. iOS 7 betas are available for iPhone but iPad users will have to wait. The bugs in the software will surely be addressed by the time the new iOS devices debut later this year.
You may want to see:
*Our articles may contain aff links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please read our disclaimer on how we fund this site.